Knights notch explosive first quarter before succumbing to powerful PCM

Scrambled homecoming game played Monday night

Union's Briar Mast barrels down the field with his head down while returning PCM’s opening kickoff for 80 yards - setting the stage for a stellar first quarter of Knights football during the rescheduled homecoming game held last Monday evening in La Porte City. PHOTO BY RUBY F. MCALLISTER

LA PORTE CITY – Monday night football appeared to sit well with the Union Knights early in the team’s rescheduled homecoming game against Prairie City-Monroe this week, with the Knights opening the 2A District 6 matchup hot with an 80-yard kickoff return courtesy of a spectacular run by junior Briar Mast.

The game at Union Stadium was played Monday evening following multiple weather delays due to lightning the Friday prior – delays which ultimately forced the cancellation and rescheduling.

Following the opening return, smart decisions by quarterback Caden Sorensen – including two handoffs to running back Levi Hadachek who fought his way through the PCM defense – quickly put Union within two yards of the goal. Tight end Caleb Olson then ran in the touchdown for the Knights.

“Coach [Todd] Carlson’s special teams gave us a great boost,” Union head coach Jared Pospisil told the Telegraph. “The kick return unit did an outstanding job blocking for Briar Mast, who read the holes well and punched through holes explosively.”

PCM eventually answered Union’s jet fuel start – scoring their first touchdown after a slow and steady, but effective series of offensive plays.

Knights quarterback Caden Sorensen (1) pictured early in the first quarter against the PCM Mustangs. PHOTO BY RUBY F. MCALLISTER

But Union wasn’t done. While attempting the PAT, Knight Ryan Devries, a senior, blocked the Mustang’s kick so hard it could be heard in the stands.

Union followed that crowd-pleasing play with a massive run by wide receiver Justice Luke to PCM’s 28-yard line.

After a short gain by Hadachek, Sorensen threw to tight end Logan Rosauer who ran in the 35-yard touchdown. The extra two points were good courtesy of Olson. Union was up, 14-6.

With about three minutes remaining in the first quarter, Devries sacked the PCM quarterback for another crowd-pleasing moment.

Unfortunately, after such a stellar start, the sheer size and skill of the ranked Mustangs eventually overtook the quarter – and much of the remaining game.

Union tight end Caleb Olson weaves around the Mustangs defense while running in the opening touchdown for the Knights on Monday. PHOTO BY RUBY F. MCALLISTER

With about two minutes remaining, PCM easily ran in a touchdown plus the PAT was good.

Following a Union fumble, PCM again took possession, this time at the Knights’ 39-yard line. The Mustangs followed that up two plays later with another touchdown and an extra point.

The Mustangs led 21-14 with roughly a minute remaining.

As if that wasn’t enough, PCM intercepted Union’s very first pass, placing them at Union’s 40-yard line.

With under 30 seconds to go in the first quarter, PCM scored once again. The Mustangs led, 28-14, heading into the second quarter.

Union running back Levi Hadachek (5) protects quarterback Caden Sorensen (hidden) from the PCM rush during the first quarter of the Knights homecoming game on Monday. Hadachek notched a great first half for the Knights before exiting the game due to a head injury – and subsequent concussion – sustained while knocking helmets with a PCM player. Hadachek will miss tonight’s game with Jesup as a result. PHOTO BY RUBY F. MCALLISTER

PCM would score another seven points in the second quarter ahead of a scoreless third quarter. In the final quarter, the Mustangs notched another 14 points to Union’s final seven.

The Knights lost 49-21 to the Mustangs.

“There are no free meals,” Coach Pospisil told the Telegraph following his team’s fifth straight loss, “and each of the next three opponents have shown great things.”

“Still, moving forward, we should match up well sizewise against our remaining opponents. If we continue to improve and believe in our systems and each other, we have a great shot at finishing well in District 6.”

Tonight, the Knights (0-5) face Jesup (2-3) on the road in another District 6 matchup beginning at 7:30 p.m.

Senior Brock Ruzicka (66) kicks off for the Knights following their opening touchdown against PCM. PHOTO BY RUBY F. MCALLISTER

Stats for Union’s game with PCM were not available at the time this story was published online.

Union wide receiver Justice Luke (13) pictured running the ball down the field in the first quarter. Luke's run would put the Knights in a good scoring position for their second touchdown of the evening. PHOTO BY RUBY F. MCALLISTER

Senior tight end Logan Rosauer (10) pictured during his touchdown run against PCM on Monday evening. PHOTO BY RUBY F. MCALLISTER

Logan Rosauer (10) celebrates in the first quarter after scoring a touchdown for the Knights during the team’s homecoming game played against the PCM Mustangs on Monday, Sept. 25. PHOTO BY RUBY F. MCALLISTER




Union head coach Jared Pospisil speaks to his team during a timeout on the field. PHOTO BY RUBY F. MCALLISTER